July 2012 New: Skilled Migrant Selection Model

Guest VickyMel

Guest VickyMel

Looks like Oz is looking to move to a similar system as NZ - with an expression of interest before you fork out the big money

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/skilled-migrant-selection-model.htm

The Model is proposed to commence on 1 July 2012. As of this date, new applicants for independent, family or state/territory sponsored migration would need to submit an EOI and be issued with an invitation before lodging a visa application, unless eligible for transitional arrangements. The first round of invitations is expected to occur in January 2013.
The Model will be an electronic system based upon a two-stage process. Prospective applicants first submit claims for skilled migration through an online EOI and subsequently may be invited to make a visa application. This is a significant change from the current situation, as applicants for independent or state/territory sponsored migration will be required to receive an invitation in order to lodge a visa application.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I knew it! The DIAC announces that they are moving towards this NZ model and that it is only going to come into place in July 2012, it will not be long now and they will announce that the points system is not ready for July 2011. What harebrained scheme are they going to dream up for the interim ?

Guest Amelie
Looks like Oz is looking to move to a similar system as NZ - with an expression of interest before you fork out the big money

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/skilled-migrant-selection-model.htm

Hi,

I'm sorry for being a bit thick, I think I understand the purpose of the change. However, I'm assuming this will make it harder to apply for skilled migration?

Guest Jamie Smith

New system July 1, applications/decisions from January 1, so I think Aus will do what NZ did and close applications for several months to allow procssing of older applications while they rejig and retrain around the new. This in turn creates a one off but sizeable backlog that will take months to clear with only the highest points getting through, at which time Govt will say "look it's working everyone has a PhD" and of course gloss over the fact that it is an artifical selection process for around a year.

The 457s will be untouched and faster processed.

With the above changes there will be huge pressure on ENS and only limited numbers as this is a capped quota visa. So again 457 will grow and dominate ENS leaving fewer offshore ENS to get through.

The kicker from NZ system is that they now only get about as many as they pick, meaning that heaps of reasonably high scorers who would have had to wait for months - if ever - have been deterred from applying at NZs loss, and only the high points people get in.

This places an incredible pressure on those who select and model the skills lists, and those who set quota for each occupation.

We already know that Skills Australia do not research country town Chambers of Commerce for lists of shortages. We already know that the various lists only feature skills in higher demand. :goofy:

Ergo this new system will penalise the lesser demand occupations and occupations whose professional body cannot afford to lobby govt (or just not organised), and also occupations in more demand in regional areas. The new regional agreements will take some time to come in, at least a year, and even then will probably be capped if they are not on 457.

Therefore these changes are good for DIAC and absolutely hopeless for employers and many migrants. It sounds good on paper but in reality is just for those who are migrants or employers.:wideeyed:

Don't you love Government monopolies? they don't have to try and attract more customers or offer a satisfying service.

New system July 1, applications/decisions from January 1, so I think Aus will do what NZ did and close applications for several months to allow procssing of older applications while they rejig and retrain around the new. This in turn creates a one off but sizeable backlog that will take months to clear with only the highest points getting through, at which time Govt will say "look it's working everyone has a PhD" and of course gloss over the fact that it is an artifical selection process for around a year.

With the above changes there will be huge pressure on ENS and only limited numbers as this is a capped quota visa. So again 457 will grow and dominate ENS leaving fewer offshore ENS to get through.

The kicker from NZ system is that they now only get about as many as they pick, meaning that heaps of reasonably high scorers who would have had to wait for months - if ever - have been deterred from applying at NZs loss, and only the high points people get in.

This places an incredible pressure on those who select and model the skills lists, and those who set quota for each occupation.

We already know that Skills Australia do not research country town Chambers of Commerce for lists of shortages. We already know that the various lists only feature skills in higher demand. :goofy:

Ergo this new system will penalise the lesser demand occupations and occupations whose professional body cannot afford to lobby govt (or just not organised), and also occupations in more demand in regional areas. The new regional agreements will take some time to come in, at least a year, and even then will probably be capped if they are not on 457.

Therefore these changes are good for DIAC and absolutely hopeless for employers and many migrants. It sounds good on paper but in reality is just for those who are migrants or employers.:wideeyed:

Don't you love Government monopolies? they don't have to try and attract more customers or offer a satisfying service.

Hi Jamie

Am i right to think that this is for new applications.

How do you think those that have already applied will fare particularly Cat 4

Cheers

Shane

Guest Jamie Smith

Sorry Shan07, only your god knows. Depends how much of a b*stard the new Minister wants to be. I think he will hope that a possible closure for a few months will sort things out naturally and then the Govt can decide what to do with Cat 4. They will probaly say to watch out for the new regional agreements and go there or go over to 457.

My best advice?

Don't hope or wait for a fair decision from Govt, make a move now across to an employer sponsored visa as these are going to be first choice for the foreseeable future and ENS has a cap on numbers to be issued.

Guest xslayer
Sorry Shan07, only your god knows. Depends how much of a b*stard the new Minister wants to be. I think he will hope that a possible closure for a few months will sort things out naturally and then the Govt can decide what to do with Cat 4. They will probaly say to watch out for the new regional agreements and go there or go over to 457.

My best advice?

Don't hope or wait for a fair decision from Govt, make a move now across to an employer sponsored visa as these are going to be first choice for the foreseeable future and ENS has a cap on numbers to be issued.

Hi Jamie,

how is it possible for Cat4 people to move to ENS? I always thought this is impossible since we dont have a substantive visa anymore? - unless you are within 1 month of getting your bridging (but back then I wouldn't know I'll fall into cat4)? please correct me if im wrong

Guest sivakumar

I hope that DIAC will not implement the new point system in July as expected, instead they will stop accepting new applications and process all backlog applications before they reform the current SMP system as J.Smith.

Guest Helchops

Do people think that the new points test will be introduced in July this year?

We are eligible under the new points text but not the old! Now unsure as to what to do...

This change is scheduled from 01/07/2012, not this year ...

Best regards.

But does the points system not change in July this year? From 01/07/2011, with the proposed points needed for both a 175 or a 176 being 65?

So in July this year (2011) the points change (ie you get more if you are slightly older than before etc) and then this Expression of Interest coming in in 2012?

Hi Jamie,

just to note that the proposed system is planned to be from 7/2012, not 2011. So there will be one year or time from now. Did you count it in your thoughts?

Cheers,

But does the points system not change in July this year? From 01/07/2011, with the proposed points needed for both a 175 or a 176 being 65?

So in July this year (2011) the points change (ie you get more if you are slightly older than before etc) and then this Expression of Interest coming in in 2012?

The points test has been scheduled to start 01/07/2011, as per previous pronoucements.

We await sight of the relevant legislation.

Governments have been known to change their minds ... :biggrin:

Best regards..

The points test has been scheduled to start 01/07/2011, as per previous pronoucements.

Best regards..

Cheers for confirming this - lets hope they blooming don't - I'm relying on the points changing to have enough (being an elderly 32 year old!).

Cheers again

PP

Guest Jamie Smith
Hi Jamie,

just to note that the proposed system is planned to be from 7/2012, not 2011. So there will be one year or time from now. Did you count it in your thoughts?

Cheers,

yes. But between now and then people are going to weigh up options and some will change visa option quickly and these alternatives are still capped. Hence we get to d.day to find no room for late movers.

yes. But between now and then people are going to weigh up options and some will change visa option quickly and these alternatives are still capped. Hence we get to d.day to find no room for late movers.

Hey jamie,

What is the scope for processing for our applications who are waiting since last 4 years. Are they going to cap our applications?

Guest Helchops
Cheers for confirming this - lets hope they blooming don't - I'm relying on the points changing to have enough (being an elderly 32 year old!).

Cheers again

PP

Us too!!

Positive Pixie, when are you going to be submitting your Visa?

Guest Helchops

Best regards..

If they were planning on introducing it as announced, wouldn't there have been more word on legislation? The government still have to approve it don't they?

Also, if they were going to delay the points change, surely they'd have announced that yesterday alongside everything else?

Guest hrimmer3011

After reading all the info, more stressed than ever!! Know it not till next year, but DIAC seem to be changing things all the time! All I know is I so desperate to lodge our visa application to DIAC before they announce anything else! We all ready to apply, just waiting for agent to finalise things (do have a great Agent so have every faith!) then maybe I actually be able to sleep at night!! (oh and stop drinking...!!):biggrin:

Archived